Granite is a coarse-grained igneous rock composed mostly of quartz, alkali feldspar, and plagioclase. It forms from magma with a high content of silica and alkali metal oxides that slowly solidifies underground. It is common in the Earth’s continental crust, where it is found in various kinds of igneous intrusions
*For hundreds of years granite has been considered a stone with thousands of quality attributes. It is durable and so it is used as dimension stone, it is elegant as well and that is why it is considered for interior decoration. But more than its durability and eye pleasing beauty there are some other facets too about this magnificent stone that are not widely known
- On earth diamond is the hardest stone that can be cut by diamond only. However, after diamond granite is the hardest stone that can be cut with diamond saws only. This makes it second hardest stone on earth.
- Granite is the only stone that is composed of two most abundantly available minerals on earth – feldspar and quartz.
- Granite is porous and permeable in nature but with fabrication its pores and grains become resistant to liquid absorption.
- Every primary and secondary colour is available in granite rock that is quarried throughout the world.
- Granite is the only stone that is most widely used for both interior and exterior decoration worldwide.
- All the engineered and synthetic work surfaces that are manufactured in warehouses contain granite granules to give them durability.
- Two chunks of granite extracted from same quarry even in same lot can never be found alike in terms of their colour and veining patterns.
- The average life span of this splendid stone is 18 years that can be extended up to 20 years and more if cared properly.
In the construction industry, black rocks that share the hardness and strength of granitic rocks are known as black granite. In geological terms, black granite might be gabbro, diabase, basalt, diorite, norite, or anorthosite. Black granite is found in varieties including Black Pearl, Black Galaxy, Impala Black, Agatha Black, Absolute Black, Titanium, India Black, and Cambrian BlackBlack
Granite makes up 1.6% of Zimbabwe’s exports, Black Galaxy also known as Star Galaxy Granite is one of the nation’s premium granites.
Valued for its timeless properties, universal appeal and stunning looks black galaxy granite is an elegant choice for both contemporary and traditional kitchens.
Our Vuti quarry site is a Black Galaxy Granite mine. This durable granite, is not only recommended for countertops but also for accent walls, backsplashes, cladding, floors, and other building features. Kromount Technologies is well advanced in it’s Research & Development programme to extend its operations to mine Black Galaxy Granite and for value addition processing to the stone within the country.
The four fabrication operations; cutting/sawing, edge-cutting & trimming, dressing and polishing will be carried out at our production facilities. As ever Kromount technologies is poised to employ the latest state of the art technology to produce our clients desired cuts shapes and finishes. This will not only serve to extend our product offering, but will also create career development as well as job opportunities for or quarry staff and local communities.
Faith Tori, an aspiring journalist is on Kromount Technologies product development and marketing team. This department is on the driving edge of Kromount Technologies’ value addition growth strategy.